Tuesday, July 2, 2013

PARIS

After a very long trip, I am in Paris. This is something I have wished for years and it is hard to believe I am actually here. The flights were actually pretty great (besides the food). I arrived to Paris an hour early, thinking I could maybe make it to the first day of class on time. I quickly found that a pay phone cost 10euros and the number they gave me to schedule a pick up didnt work on them. After many minutes of panicking I eventually went to information where the lady called for me and figured it out. An hour later I was picked up (interesting with another girl from Colorado), and two hours after that I arrived at the school. That shuttle was incredible chaotic, I am shocked we didnt get in an accident. I learned that I will NEVER drive here. Ever. After feeling over whelmed with the stress of the arrival I was questioning why Paris is so loved, but as soon as I got to the school, I understood. It is located right next to an incredible church and across the street from that is a little courtyard with two fountains and a few little shops. My apartment is on the other side of the church, so it is obviously very easy to get there. My roommates name is Liliya and she is from Moscow. She doesn't speak English very well but I have enjoyed teaching her a few words and phrases so far. She is very nice. Our little apartment is rather cute! We both sleep in a room that has two big windows and room for a dining table. It also has a little bathroom and kitchen in separate rooms, as well as a small walk in closet. I love it except for the rock-solid beds. The main building where classes are held has 4 floors, each one for a different subject (fashion design is on the top floor). As soon as I dropped off my luggage, I went to the lab and started sewing right away. The professors only speak French, and they speak to you like you understand it perfectly. Almost everyone understands very little, so we have a translator named Madeleine to help us when we are desperate. After 3 hours of sewing lines and doing mock hems by hand, I hurried home to change and came back to go to a couture fashion show for a designer for Eric Tibusch. We were helping dress models back stage, which was great because we could see the contruction details and feel the fabrics and textures. It was very hectic and quite disorganized which is what I am used to during fashion shows. I didnt bring my camera to the show, but some of the clothes were amazing. It was interesting to see that they were not perfectly constructed like I expected. I found some mismatched seams and uneven hems, etc. It was incredibly frustrating to not speak french there though because we would get yelled at to find something or do something and have no idea what to do. Anyone who could translate was already running around like a crazy so we were not very helpful there. After the show, some girls and I took the metro home, which was a maze but I loved it. The next day I had French survival class (where I found one girl from Kazakhstan, Kirsten!) in the morning and then we went to a couture exhibit at the city hall of the 4th arrondissement. It was incredible to see garment from legendary designers up close. My favorite part was being able to see a sample garment including marking/fitting notes from Karl Lagerfeld (head designer of Chanel). I wish so badly I could hvae taken a picture because it was flawless. In the exhibit there were garments from the 1800's along with garments shown in the 2013 shows, so great. After the exhibit, I had time to nap! Then I went to the next fashion show for Alexandre Vauthier. This one was at a much nicer location and was obviously a higher end production. Every model wore a pair of Louboutins (with the red soles). The model I dressed wore a beautiful jacket that was embroider with a zillion beads and crystals. It was incredibly heavy and fragile, but so amazing. I brought my camera this time so I have pictures! I met some new students at this show and we walked around the 7th arrondissement (where the Eiffel Tower is) and it was incredible, and then I got home early! And that is all so far. I have hardly had any free time to eat, let alone visit any attractions. However, I have gotten to see alot already through traveling to each event. I really love it here, and I would love it more if I walked less. My feet are dying but I am hoping that gets better. I will post things as often as I can, but I give no guartunees! Loverretta



The church next to my school.


My first real baguette. AMAZING. Im obsessed. Also, my room in the background.


The venue for Vauthier show.


Special backstage pass, does that logo look familiar?


The heavy gold dress with the crazy embroidery that I dressed the model in.




Finale dress that I also helped dress. This model was from Kansas!


Cool wall in the school's courtyard.


View from my window!

3 comments:

Cameron said...

Love reading about your experiences there!

Kirsten said...

Wow, they put you right to work! Didn't waste any time. I have a feeling this is going to be such a good experience for you. I am excited to hear more about it.

Have fun.

Jandersen said...

Awesome V! I can't believe that backstage pass? Weird... (good weird) I'm jealous of your baguette!